Friday, June 5, 2009

jjqotw

What are some of my money saving techniques? How do I save money?

I shared one of my favorites not long ago--when you open a new bottle of liquid laundry detergent or fabric softener and have used it a couple times, add a capful of water and shake it up. I only saves you the cost of one load, but that can be significant.
Julie's right--we love to shop for bargains, then come home and display or model them. I used to give Liz and Em each a dollar and turn them loose in Jobbers Odd Lots and they had a contest to see who could buy the most STUFF! They had little erasers 14/25cents--you could 56 THINGS for a buck!! And the other cool junk they came up with--makes me nostalgic just to think of it. Liz and I did something similar at NPS in SLC. I won--I got a bunch of boiled eggs (peeled) for about 79 cents. Then left them at G&Gs. They probably got thrown out. I hope they got thrown out--that was months ago. What a waste of 79 cents!
As for any other hints--I used to bake cookies, then put 3 or 4 in a sandwich bag and put them in the freezer, and that's what went into sack lunches. Putting them right in the freezer kept me from eating the whole batch at one sitting, and made a great homemade snack for lunch.
In a talk in church last week, the speaker reminded us of a saying I've heard before: "An unwise housewife can throw more out the back door with a teaspoon than her husband can bring in the front door with a shovel". Makes you think, doesn't it?
And more condo news--we were supposed to close today (again), but some glitch with paperwork prevented it. We are getting quite upset. We were assured that we can sign either Monday afternoon or Tuesday. Cross your fingers!

3 comments:

Seth and Julie said...

You know I love the way you shop, right? I am just being playful when I tease, but I think it is so much fun!!!

Julie L said...

And then there's me. I HATE to shop. It's, like, if I need it, go get it, but Please, please, Please! keep me out of the store until then. So I really blow it with the bargains. There is one advantage to not going into the stores, though. I don't spend money when I don't cross the threshold! Oh, wow, I do have a money saving tip, after all! (I am secretly jealous of your terrific nose for bargains, by the way.)

Tony and Ann said...

I'm not sure that Julie (Johnson, not Loveridge) isn't a secret bargain shopper--you oughta see her in Vegas shopping for "real" jewelry, or at the Outlet Mall in Park City!
And for Julie L--try this--give each of your daughters (& any other girls who are available at that time) $5.00 and have a contest--most, best, most bizarre--and see how much fun you have! Make sure you are somewhere fun--NPS is a great place for really good junk!