Thursday, April 30, 2009

The errant apostrophe

So--this may offend some of you, but--this is how am I am and probably always will be. A spelling freak!!
One of my first "AARRGGHH" moments in Wyoming came when I drove by the grocery store, and there was a sign out front--"fresh egg's". Bout drove off the road!
And I tend to embarrass anyone I am with when I see misspelled words. Just ask Tony! But yesterday, while we were in the auto dealership waiting for our car which had been serviced, I noticed a big poster, proclaiming how "green" the dealership was. The poster was about their flooring, which used a high percent recycled items. And there it was--the errant (or, in this case, absent) apostrophe. I quote--"your walking on it!". Not you're walking on it as it should be, but your walking on it.
Come on now, how many of you even know what I'm talking about??
YOUR is POSSESSIVE--it is NOT a contraction for "you are". Your phone, your address, your money. You're here, you're the best, you're wrong about that one.
It's a pet peeve of mine.
Use an apostrophe in a contraction--when joining 2 words to make one (can't, won't, etc.) or to make a noun or pronoun show possession (Ann's).
So--pardon me blowing off a bit of steam. And don't be surprised if I start correcting the spelling on your (not you're) blog!
And sorry about the misspelled and ungrammatical stuff in this blog!

3 comments:

Sarah E. said...

I actually knew that one! I think it must have been drilled into me by someone...Haw yu endd up weth u daotr tat speld so bad az mee, i don't no!

Emily said...

Your funny! You're blog made me laugh!

Seth and Julie said...

I am a master speller but my grammar is weak. I do use contractions appropriately, but I am the queen of run on sentences as I am sure you have (or you've, if you prefer)noticed. I don't have much love for commas either. I use them where I want them with total disregard for where they actually belong.