I had a request from Em to put this recipe on the blog. Just some history--I had a roommate at BYU name Susan Beck. Her dad had been mission president in Sao Paulo Brazil. They had a favorite family recipe for bar cookies--Felicia's Friend's Cookies. No one knew where the name came from. All they could figure was that "someone" knew someone named Felicia. Felicia must have had a friend (nameless) who had this recipe, but the real name was lost forever. This was a favorite of my kids while they were growing up, and remains a favorite with some of them--and me included. It's quick, it's easy, and you always have the ingredients on hand.
So here goes:
Felicia's Friend's Cookies
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white sugar
1 c. shortening
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1 c. flour
1 c. uncooked oats (either quick or regular work)
Cream sugars and shortening and eggs--add the rest of the ingredients and mix. (The original recipe says to mix all ingredients together in one pan but I found it's better to cream the listed ingredients, then add the dry--not as much flour goes flying all over the kitchen if you've mixed the shortening, etc first!)
Spread in 9 X 13 pan (will be thin). Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 min--until lightly browned. Cool, then frost with chocolate frosting. Cut into bars.
If you do a smaller (9X9) pan, they will be thicker and take about 40 min to cook.
Friday, April 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Mmmmm. I want to go make some right now but I know it's too late. Tomorrow!
Yum...yum!
Thanks mom!!
My next request is:Ham Loaf!!
It's been forever since I've made those, but they were always a favorite. One more to add to the list of must bakes when I get an oven again!
Post a Comment