Friday, January 13, 2012

A Yurt in Oregon



Our next great adventure involves a yurt and the Oregon coast in February. We've got some Southwest credits that expire the end of February, and so we are going to fulfill a dream (we hope) of watching a storm blow in over the Pacific in Oregon. With our luck it will be 60 degrees and not a storm in sight, but we're still going to do it!
A Yurt is a round tent-like structure. This is on a permanent foundation, has a locking wooden door, has a bunk bed (twin over double) and a futon (double), as well as a couple chairs, a small table, heat, and electricity. The bathrooms and showers (in heated buildings) are down the road. Staying in a yurt has been something I've wanted to do for a long time.
We found the campground a year and a half ago when we took our Highway 101 trip, but we had our tent. It's in Newport, Oregon, a town we fell in love with. Just over the dunes from the campground is the ocean.
We're glad we're flying Southwest, because we are taking our really good sleeping bags, as well as our good rain gear and we can take up to 4 suitcases without charge. We may be chilly, but we are going to have so much fun!!
So let's everyone do the storm dance the weekend of February 11-12--just so we can watch it roll in off the Pacific!

3 comments:

Julie L said...

Sounds fun! Can't wait to see your pictures!

Seth and Julie said...

What a fun little adventure. I hope you get your storm, but stay safe at the same time.

Brian and Tonya said...

Fun. Brian and I stayed in a yurt on the Oregon coast once and it was a fun experiance. But, I'm not positive you really really want a storm to blow in while you are there. We did, and there wasn't much watching, just lots of huddling and trying to stay warm and dry. We did watch a tiny little fishing boat try to make it out of the sound into the ocean and I thought they were crazy. There's some good tidepools along the coast to stop at too. I can't wait to see your pictures.