Sunday, November 21, 2010
Wyoming adventures
Life in Wyoming can be an adventure. We have beautiful places to visit (think Yellowstone, Grand Teton National Park, Devil's Tower, Martin's Cove, etc etc etc), and we have different kinds of adventures. Tony and I got to experience a different kind last night. We made a quick trip to Utah--left here as soon as I got back from a conference in Cheyenne Friday night and went to G&G L's that night. Got there about 10. Left about 9 am--we had a dining room table and 4 chairs one of the PAs I work with gave to us. We took it to Branch & Em, then took their old rickety table (had no chairs for it) to DI. Then a birthday excursion for E's birthday. Ever been to Jungle Jim's in the Ft. Union area?? It's a great place--kiddie rides, games, food--kind of along the lines of Chuck E Cheese, but only kids who ride the rides have to pay the admission (less than $9). They have kiddie bumper cars, drive your own jeeps, roller coaster, rocket ships, swinging swings, merrie-go-round, and spinning saucer rides. Just for young kids! Then there's the "play place" with tubes to crawl thru and slide down. Arcade games and other stuff. A big eating area for parties. A snack bar with pizza, hot dogs, etc. And a place to redeem all those tickets you win at the games. After the party, we had cake, made a couple stops, and headed out of town, trying to beat the storm. We did NOT beat the storm. Tony gets text alerts from WyDOT, and we started getting them coming up echo canyon. Slick, snow, limited visibility. Then chain law in effect. Then--while topping off the tanks in Evanston, came the next alert--I-80 closed from the Utah border to milepost 30. They put barriers across the road when they close it, so your only option is to return. So--we headed to the Hampton Inn in Evanston--were among the first to get there after the roads closed, but people started pouring in after us!. So we were safe and warm and not in our truck in the Walmart parking lot last night!! I am grateful for a husband who felt we should stop instead of trying to go by another route in a blizzard. Grateful it was an inconvenience, not a catastrophe. Grateful for one of my former YW (now in RS) who answered my text and gladly said she'd lead the music in Sacrament meeting today. Grateful the road was open, the sun was out, and (after about 60 miles of ice and slush) we had dry roads!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm glad you made it home okay. I will never NEVER forget our drive home after Brody's missionary farewell, where we, only 30 miles from home, were grateful to stay in a hotel and wait out the rest of the storm. We should have done that in Evanston.
I will never forget coming down the Sisters on a sheet of ice, and seeing a semi sliding sideways behind us. No, I have a profound respect for your Wyoming Winter Roads, and the need to carry an extra change of clothes anytime you travel there (which we did not do that during that experience).
Post a Comment